In mine (both 1.9.1 and 1.9.2) they seem to work in the "New ticket auto-response" template, but NOT in the "New ticket auto-reply" template. I've noticed that they're easily broken using the WYSIWYG editor, because it often inserts hidden code inside the variables. So I always verify that the variables are intact by looking at the source code, using the <> button. Even after doing that, they're still broken in the "New ticket auto-reply" template.
I'll keep troubleshooting, and report here if I find a fix.
My comments above apply to "other variables". It seems the "base variables are working. Perhaps the "other variables" can't be used in this context.Jack