KevinTheJedi I must have missed setting the Timezone in PHP.ini, I just updated it to America/New_York and rebooted the server and the values did not update or change. The service time and response times are changing as tickets come in and closed - but are the metrics correct - not sure.
When I did the query on the page it showed the correct unix times, the first number may have been weird - I may need to run it again to double-check.
Still odd when I click on period and change it to One Week, Two Weeks - both axis go to NaN when I click refresh. Up to today still doesn't show any tickets on 01-07-2022. I attached both screenshots.
just after I took this I added your query:
FROM_UNIXTIME(1638916648) AND FROM_UNIXTIME(1641595048)int(1)